Monday, August 25, 2008

On Virtues And Vices

Dear friends,

I thought I would share this idea of mine on a much debated topic of what is good and what is not…Something that has created all the controversies of the world I believe.. So in here I thought I would share the belief system and value system that forms my idea about the “The Good , The Bad and the Ugly” :)

Regarding “The Good” , I have my belief system and value systems firmly based on the virtues practiced and preached by Vivekananda.. and those are…

Self-Respect, Self-Confidence, Clear thinking, Courage, Diligence, Sincerity, Initiative, Resourcefulness, Self-Control, Reliability, Spirit Of Service, Unselfishness, Common sense, Cleanliness, Sense Of Discipline, Poise, Self-reliance, Tolerance, Courtesy, Patience, Sympathy, Honesty, Determination and Truthfulness..

I also would like to point out to some thirteen virtues from Benjamin Fraklin.. that I can associate and relate with (ref : http://www.school-for-champions.com/)

Personal:
The seven personal virtues relate to your attitudes toward activities and their challenges. Good personal character traits will better your chances of success in achieving your goals.

Temperance: Eat not to dullness; drink not to elevation.
Order: Let all your things have their places; let each part of your business have its time.
Resolution: Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve.
Frugality: Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself; i.e., waste nothing.
Moderation: Avoid extremes; forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.
Industry: Lose no time; be always employed in something useful; cut off all unnecessary actions.
Cleanliness: Tolerate no un-cleanliness in body, clothes, or habitation.
Tranquility: Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable.

Social:
These six social virtues that Franklin stated concern your attitudes toward people with whom you have dealings. Good social character traits result in other people wanting to do business with you or to have relationships with you.

Silence: Speak not but what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation.
Sincerity: Use no hurtful deceit; think innocently and justly, and, if you speak, speak accordingly.
Justice: Wrong none by doing injuries, or omitting the benefits that are your duty.
Chastity: Rarely use venery but for health or offspring, never to dullness, weakness, or the injury of your own or another's peace or reputation.
Humility: Imitate Jesus and Socrates.

My favorite quote in this regard is:
“Do unto others what you expect others to do unto you”.---Jesus Christ

I would also like to add this little one from Dr. Deepak Chopra…
“Humility is most underrated virtue and sex is the most overrated vice”

Regarding “The Bad”, we all know about the seven sins…
Lust, Anger, Greed, Envy, Pride, Sloth & Gluttony

But as my “indulgence-secretary” would like to say…
“I can resist everything but temptation” :)

And regarding “The Ugly” part of it..

I hate meanness, jealousy, “sick competitiveness that wants to "win" at any expense” and the "half-literate ego" that doesn’t mind hurting others for personal gains...

But please pardon me for my wildest dreams ( the cause and the effect of it, I mean,,…errrrgh..;))

But after a bit of reflection and pondering I thought I murmured that I've got a “swan-feather” mind that doesn't mind, a heart that doesn't hurt, a touch that doesn't pain but I can fly like a butterfly and sting like a bee..…Wow…where the hell did that came from………!!!! ;)

Reflexively yours,
-Dev

No comments: